Chess for Android 2.4

I just released version 2.4 of Chess for Android at the Android Market with the following new feature:
  • basic UCI engine support (ability to replace built-in Java engine with any third party UCI engine compiled "natively" for Android)
Instructions on how to setup an UCI engine are given at UCI for Android. As far as I know currently only BikJump is available as stand-alone UCI engine for Android. Although stronger than the built-in engine, I hope I will be able to add links to much stronger third party UCI engines soon. Please note that support is still rather basic (elaborate setup, only tested on one engine, GUI does not support engine options, time control restricted to time-per-move, position sent as FEN, making the engine more prone to three-fold repetition, no tournaments, etc.). Nevertheless, I hope it is an interesting start.

Comments

Sarika said…
hi aart
is it possible from his webside
http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm
the houdini engine in your great
android chess to integredet ?
sorry for my bad englisch
by charly
Aart Bik said…
Since it is an UCI engine, all you have to ask Houdini's author to compile it "natively" for Android.

The idea of UCI support is that the GUI can now import *any* third party UCI engine once it has been compiled for Android.
Sam X said…
i am looking at porting gnuchess engine to android. i can beat your chess program but gnuchess is is really hard to beat...

what you think of that?
Sam X said…
both checkers and reversi are really strong engine players. chess is not so strong but decent prob due to larger search space in chess
Aart Bik said…
I agree. I can easily beat my chess engine on Android, but have a harder time beating my reversi or checkers engines :-)

Did you play the natively compiled BikJump engine? It is already a lot stronger than the built-in engine.

In any case, I hope strong UCI engines will be ported to Android soon, so they can be imported into the Chess for Android GUI.

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting Chess for Android to a Remote Server

Checkers Move Generation

Connecting with the DGT Board