Exhaustive State Space Search for Efficient Code Generation

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I scribbled down some notes on how to use Prolog to exhaustively search for the best assembly instruction sequences that perform particular data manipulations, in particular for SIMD. And although I actually used such an approach to verify whether code examples shown in The Software Vectorization Handbook were truly optimal, I always thought the ideas were too thin for actual publication.

However, now that ML-to-optimize-ML is becoming popular, I was hoping that perhaps a few people would be interested in reading about ideas from a simpler time, when AI still meant Prolog and expert systems and such. Therefore, I made the notes available as arXiv white paper.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting Chess for Android to a Remote Server

Checkers Move Generation

Connecting with the DGT Board